A major international hotel operator, identified a critical development requirement for middle managers within their network. A current talent shortfall existed, in terms of internal recruitment into senior hotel management roles.
IHG - Identifying middle management development
A major international hotel operator, identified a critical development requirement for middle managers within their network. A current talent shortfall existed, in terms of internal recruitment into senior hotel management roles. As a well-established Brand with significant growth projection it was essential that an effective talent pipeline was developed to meet the future needs.
RTS Group was brought in to create a robust and relevant development programme which involved and engaged all the stakeholders within the organisation:
- Senior Management and Vice-Presidents
- General Managers and Hotel Managers
- Human Resources
- The talent candidates themselves
In order to create “buy in” and create anticipation and expectation within the hotel network the development solution was built around two key elements:
- An initial high-impact intensive business simulation and pre-program assessment workshop
- A series of 6 focussed developed modules based on the group’s core competencies led by subject experts from within the business including General Managers, Senior Finance Directors, H.R. Directors and Sales and Marketing experts and facilitated by RTS
The business simulation in particular was a key event in terms of the positive reputation of the programme within the organisation. It was a two day event taking place “Live” in an operating hotel, involving staff and management of the hotel, along with key stakeholders from across the organisation acting as assessors and then mentors for the delegates. These events were a talking point throughout the programmes.
Through 2013-14 three programmes were rolled out involving over 75 potential managers. Since the completion of the programme more than 70% of the delegates have moved into more senior roles.